Monday, February 27, 2012

Political Infidelities

I treated myself tonight, like I do most nights, to a little PBS (ladies...), and I saw the last part of Clinton, American Experience's exposé on Bill Clinton's presidential legacy

Which at first I was hesitant towards, simply because it would only further stereotypes that Public Broadcasting has a liberal touch, so obviously I was afraid it would turn into a gushing fest about his improvements of our nations economy, which he should be credited for, as well as the compromise to issue block grants to states for economic stimulus with congress.

The series ended up focusing on the Affair.  The Affair I realize now actually took place shortly after my ninth birthday, but I do remember my Clinton-loathing parents telling me to sit down and watch his confession on national television.  I realize this sounds unnecessary for a child to see, but I always thought, even at a young age, that the brutal reality we exist in never really phased me, and honestly I loved to watch political speeches and ceremonies at a young age (the year previous at age 8 I got up early on a weekday morning so I could watch the Hong Kong Handover Ceremony from British control).

At the time, however, it was difficult for me to comprehend what exactly was happening, mostly for the fact that I honestly couldn't define what "sex" was, which was ironic because "sexual relations" was the buzzword in 1998* and that term is even more ambiguous that just the word "sex".

What strikes me most hearing the interpretation of that time was my realization that Monica Lewinsky was 23 years old. I.e. my current age.  Instead of the loathing that I typically associated with her, I actually empathized rather strongly with her, a sensation I didn't expect.  I couldn't imagine a 23 year old woman to have the type of strength to deal with such an image, regardless of her sins.  The truth in my young eyes is that I see a very fragile and uncertain young woman getting involved in the way I see a lot of my friends and associates behave.

It seems clear that the scandal was really a maneuver to create a negative image to excuse as a crime, which legally it just wasn't.  It also shows our split as two parties because for hundreds of years previously, politicians were full of infidelities and yet neither journalists nor colleagues ever considered to release this type of information to the public, let alone for further political advancement.

*insignificant note; but 1998 was also there year that w both had a huge boom in internet capabilities AND was known historically for being a great year for video game innovation.

No comments: