Tuesday, September 30, 2008

inappropriate!

Month's back I posed the question to a colleague and eternal lover of mine a weird and deeply personal question (sort of inappropriately) via text message regarding the "death soundtrack"


a night prior I had been reading Killing Yourself To Live and the question was posed because of the excerpt regarding the author of Prozac Nation (the author's name is escaping me right now) and her desire to hypothetically kill herself to a song of her choice.


There was a long drawn out discussion as to if someone was legitimately going to kill themselves if they were worrying about the song they wanted to die to.

Which is a good question but I've decided that the question is merely trivial and the only ones who dwell on it are those either:

a. melodramatic

b. have vast music knowledge and are completely bored

(which in my case is mostly b)




anyways the bulk of my mind wandered for an entire workday driving through the state park on a glorified golf cart and i realized that suicide probably wouldn't be quick enough (negating guns or hanging) for just one song.


so my original decision if forced into said situation would be "Down By The River" by Neil Young, how I would do it probably bleed out, but I never could figure that part out.


so I got home and attempted to make a "goodbye" mix, which i had to stop because: 

a.  It's incredibly morbid and creepy to realize that you're actually making, essentially, a suicide mix

b.  It's really really fucking difficult


but as I was going through my collection I stumbled upon Beck's "Sea Change"

and I realized that the entire album is a giant kill-yourself-fest.

... also a good hang-over mix


so i've declared that anyone who is ACTUALLY  going to kill themselves to music is slightly on the pretentious side.



and it's damn near impossible to decide on a song OR an album



and I'd  probably something ironic or goofy



... probably  Kanye's "The New Workout Plan"









do work, son

No comments: