Sunday, December 21, 2008

gettin my nails did

The other day I went to a nail salon with my mom because she needed her nails did, and well, I needed a ride into town to get some shopping done. Two peculiar things happened there.

Now the nail salon was entirely run by Asian immigrants. Of what descent I'm not entirely sure. However, the female nail technicians had almost no issue psuedo-hitting on me in front of my mom, whom I was sitting next to eating a scone and drinking crappy coffee. I'm not sure how this was suppose to make my mom feel, but apparently she was pleased because she gave the woman a $20 tip (wtf?)

I prefaced the story about them being non-natives not because I'm attempting to enforce stereotypes (which I apparently do all the time...) But because it caused quite a stir in my attempt to sway the store owner's preference for Drew Carey over Bob Barker.

You see, we were watching The Price Is Right in between the storm coverage of what channel 8 labeled "Arctic Blast".

Besides the fact that dude fucking rocked my shit on price guessing, he refused to change his belief in Carey's dominance over Barker. But I realized about 20 minutes into our verbal battle royale that there is no substitute for growing up for 18 consecutive years with the comforts of Bob Barker always there for you every morning at 10 o'clock.

From what I gathered from our conversation I gathered this man was pretty fresh to the U.S. scene. He kept using his opening statement of "Bob Barker was too old" while I kept arguing "Drew Carey just isn't the same", and I realized that you really have to have stuck with the show for as long as I have to have the same preference, and other nations just don't appreciate consumerist game shows like we do.


If you ever get sucked into going to a nail salon with your mom, pray she doesn't go to one of those white chick salons. I guarantee you won't have the same experience.

No comments: