Monday, November 10, 2008

Radio Radio

What made Wednesday so great:


I've never seen a more postive appreciation for life on campus than I had on Wednesday of last week. Everywhere I went all I heard was "Happy Obama!". I just felt such an appreciation that I decided to reciprocate the happiness through the airwaves. So as I made my playlist for my radio show I decided to incorporate some punk/protest music.


I started things off with some Ted Leo & the Pharmacists (mild)

and went about my show preaching the words of the smiling faces (without violating FCC policies of course) and spent the rest of my off-air time trying to find the right Bob Dylan song.

So before my last song I played some Rage Against the Machine (Sleep Now With The Fire) and went back on the air to saying my closer. I talked briefly about the previous song and how it was a shame we didn't have Rage around for the last 8 years (at least in a major way). It then occurred to me while talking that I had realized that music won't have its zip in the near future and how it's a shame that our culture won't be as exciting because we just won't have the mediocrity we've had for the last 8 years which motivated us to say something and be exciting for the times. And with that I said the only thing fitting for a moment like this was "The Times They Are A-Changin'".

And with that song playing I signed off and wished everyone a happy week.


As I was about to leave the station the phone rang and the man on the other end said "Umm... I'm not sure if this is the guy who just finished that show and played the Bob Dylan... but.... thank you. And please tell me you're going to be on again soon because that was beautiful."

To which I expressed my appreciation. Because just hearing that made me realize that things will get better. There's no way it can't.

No comments: