Wednesday, November 30, 2011

3 Recent Albums I Feel You Should Listen To. (Not very current EDITION)

Deep:

The Reigning Sound Time Bomb High School






I've yet to make head or tails out of this one.  Recently I got a hold of this after Scion and The A.V. Club released The Reigning Sound's newest album.  From reviews that I read it was as bold as to imply that this was an album for those with severe White Stripes deficiencies; to which I reply "bullshit".  Time Bomb High School does indeed constitute garage rock, but this is where I feel that people try and reel it in.  Not all garage rock is The White Stripes, and not all of The White Stripes is garage rock.  TBHS has got a 50s pop kick to it (as the title would imply), and I feel it leans it closer to King Khan & the Shrines and BBQ.  But that's okay because in between it travels to places like classic rock and perhaps even country rock.

Deeper:

Radar Brothers The Singing Hachet






I suppose the best way to preface this is to say that this was suggested to me by a total stranger at a bar.  He was the kind of man who had years of devoted music love in his character, and he was also completely hammered.  Austin, Texas I suppose enables this in a lot people (mainly because everyone understands an elevated difference between an obscure reference and a piece of common knowledge).  Anyways, he struck me as the kind of man who had a copy of In the Aeroplane Over the Sea before his friends, and my assumption was it was a vinyl copy.  It was a man I could respect even through his slurred speech and confident speaking.  I'm straying toward ambiguity in describing The Singing Hachet because I too did not know what to expect when my girlfriend and I started listening to it later that night.
I will say that my interest in 90s lo-fi is close to zero, with the occasional grand exception, and this is one of those exception.

Too Deep:

Love Forever Changes






Recently I finally bought my first book in the 33 1/3 series, which happened to be a compilation of excerpts from many of the books, and this was the only album I had yet to ever hear of (mainly because in my parental reference as a child hovered between James Taylor, Pink Floyd, and Garth Brooks).  Hear the rainbow, taste the rainbow.  Firstly, this sound like Pet Sounds on acid.  But Nowak Attack,  Pet Sounds already sounds like it's on acid? True, but this is truly a hodgepodge of sounds.  Where it goes differently is that stays strictly melodic.  I could turn this album on and hear one genre, go get a cup of tea, come back, and then I would forget completely what album I was listening to.  Sometimes it's The Doors, and sometimes it sound like Dusty Springfield, yet it doesn't miss a beat.  If you stay with it for the hour-fifteen it streches, you won't veer off-track.  But it's like Sigur Ros that way.  Don't go anywhere, just shut up and listen.

No comments: